The Nerd is off fixing things in the land of mermaids as we speak, he'll be home by tonight. It'll be a couple months till we hear which direction they are likely to send us.
Mermaid direction or Canadialand direction. DG was saying how she's now 5yrs in land of Scots and it got me to thinking about the whole expat lifestyle. Being torn between 2, sometimes 3 places you call home.
It's not easy, it hurts a lot of the time and it can be lonely. You miss so many birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, births, weddings and holidays in general when there isn't enough money to fly out at a moments notice.
Maybe it's just my personal experience but I missed 7 years worth because we were financially depleted building a nerdy empire.
Now that it's a possibility to go a couple times/year we hear it may also be a possibility that "they" will be sending us in that direction anyway so hurray! Happiness right? Oh but wait, well it's also a possibility to be sent in another direction. Really now!
Well it is the city I've always dreamt of so only good things right?!
Sure, after promising everyone at 'home' we'll be back. Now it could be another 5-7 years of biannual visits?
It took me a long time to realise that it's no good promising people things if not 100% capable of delivering ;)
Life changes at a moments notice. I'm now pretty much set on the idea of buying a 10 bedroom house so there's plenty of space for everyone to visit, then stop promising them constant visits and letting it be well known that if you wanna visit, COME ON OVER THIS WAY :D
Nope, it ain't easy bein' an expat torn between different loves and lives.
Monday, 31 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I can't imagine what it would be like for you and DG. It does sound hard but then I bet it'd be hard to leave your friends in the new country too now. So now you're not moving back home? I've lost track LOL so what's happening with your studies now too?
amen, buddy! i wish you could get expat discounts on long haul flights, hehe.
Post a Comment