Thursday, 17 April 2008

How to be sprouty

I can tell you through experience how NOT to be sprouty!


Observe:





I have grown up with a mother who sprouted and I absolutely love sprouts so when I set out to sprout my first mung beans (for my stir fries) I thought it would be eeaaaasy.

The majority of the process IS easy, if you know what you're doing.

See I thought hey, a portion of beans is this much of a cup so that will produce (in theory) so many beansprouts.

Ohhhhh how wrong was I?!

I put a seemingly piddly 0.5c of mung beans in and 4 days later I have something not even half way finished growing and already threatening to burst out of the mason jar.

You see for the amount of bean sprouts I wanted, I actually only should have done a couple tablespoons. The amount seen here will grow to uncontrollable proportions! I shall have to divide amongst 3 more jars.

hooo boy. Just goes to show, research is sometimes a necessary evil as all sprouts are not created equal. Mung beans and alfalfa are nothing alike my friends, nothing.

2 comments:

Jadey said...

How funny! Keep us up to date on your sproutness

Mary said...

Too funny! Thanks for the tip of not using too much ;-)