Tuesday, 15 April 2008

you and all your silly English kaniggets

The problem with learning a language out of a book and on cd is that it takes a while to have the ability to translate really useful phrases out of Monty Python movies or foulness in general.

Learning Italian while living in Italy took a couple years, there is something about that language which so resembles French that makes me completely resistant to it.

Dutch however, was a breeze and it has a good mouth/throat feel, a language you can really sink your teeth in to. Living here made it that much easier.

Then again I'm quite partial to the Nordic languages so thought HEY! Russian, cool, I've been obsessed with Russia since I could form an opinion without drugs -- don't be fooled, it wasn't that long ago.

I started Russian lessons sometime last year? Since butting heads with the tutor, I stubbornly exclaimed I am very capable of learning this language on my own. Of course that is just nuts.

See Russian is nothing like any language I've ever experienced and in fact, I think Russian, suomi and Japanese are a few of the languages existing today which are in a category of their own. It doesn't matter how many languages you have under your belt, Russian is a damned challenge!

4 comments:

Jadey said...

How many languages do you speak?

Cat said...

fluently read/write/comprehend just English & Dutch. Afrikaans I can read/comprehend, not speak but they would understand my regular Dutch in South Africa.

uuummm have forgotten most of the Italian & Japanese and am not quite ready for Russia yet, I can read Cyrillic and speak a bit but am far from fluent.

I speak a few phrases each of Danish, German and French. I'm limited to a simple "i love you" in Albanian and Turkish

LOL sure would be nice to be fluent in all of them :D

Tracy said...

I know that you can say I love you in Finnish too, you gifted woman :) And I love it when you say "suomi" instead of Finnish! XOX

Cat said...

That's true i did say it to you a few times in suomi! sumoi sounds nicer to me than finnish, dunno why :) but all languages in their own language sound nicer than in english! Unfortunately if i say Pycckий языk instead of "russian" nobody knows what im saying while suomi is one of those easy to read words, even in english :D